In keeping with our mission to bring anthropology to the widest audience possible, we are licensing many of our articles and other published materials (SAPIENS Content) under Creative Commons so they can be freely and easily republished.
Using the “republish” button found at the end of each piece that we’ve licensed under Creative Commons will ensure that you meet our guidelines, which are as follows:
- Where noted SAPIENS Content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0 International (click the link to see legal details). If you have further questions, please contact us.
- SAPIENS Content cannot be edited without express permission from SAPIENS and the author(s) except for minor editorial style changes and edits for accuracy, for example, updating the time and calendar dates. If you would like to make more substantial edits, please email email@example.com.
- You must credit the author with a byline, preferably at the top of the republished work.
- You must credit SAPIENS as the source of the material with a brief sentence, preferably at the top of the work, such as, “This work first appeared on SAPIENS under a CC BY-ND 4.0 license. Read the original here.” The word SAPIENS should link to sapiens.org and “original here” should link to the work’s URL. If possible, please also include our logo and link it to our home page, www.sapiens.org.
- The links to our site and the use of our logo must not cast the Wenner-Gren Foundation/SAPIENS in a false or disingenuous light, including suggesting any affiliation with you or our endorsement of your publication.
- You must provide a link to the CC BY-ND 4.0 license. This ensures that anyone who sees SAPIENS content on a third-party site is aware that they too can use the material.
- Images in our articles are not included under the Creative Commons license. Please do not republish the images that accompany SAPIENS Content without express permission from the copyright holder.
- You may not republish our material wholesale or systematically. You can only select individual stories for republication.
- If you are republishing online, you must include our tracking pixel, which is a tiny image file hosted on our secure server that allows us to anonymously count page views. This tool offers us a way to keep track of which publications our content is reaching and the size of our audience. Using the “copy to clipboard” button will allow you to properly and easily implement the counter.