Last modified: 1/22/16
INFORMATION WE COLLECT & HOW WE COLLECT IT
For the purposes of operating, improving, and monitoring the user experience on our Websites and our operations generally, we collect various information from those using the Websites. This information is broadly of two types: (1) Personal Information (information which is personal to you and can be used to identify you, such as your name and email address) and (2) Non-Personal Information (information which cannot be used to identify you, such as the number of users—but not their names—who have viewed an article).
Non-Personal Information & Cookies/Web Beacons/Tracking
When you access our Websites, we may collect Non-Personal Information including, but not limited to, pages visited, hyperlinks used, type of device used, date, and time spent on our Websites.
Collecting such Non-Personal Information may involve logging the IP address, operating system and browser software used by individual site visitors. From such information a user’s Internet Service Provider and other data could be inferred, but cannot be used to personally identify you. We use this information to understand how to service users of our Websites and improve our Websites and programs by using Google Analytics or other website analysis tools.
We do not track visitors across third party websites to provide targeted advertising, and therefore do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.
You can access content on our Websites and use most features of our Websites without revealing any Personal Information. We only collect Personal Information when you provide it to us directly, for example:
- When you register for an account on the Websites to submit a grant application or otherwise;
- If you register with us to receive email newsletters or other communications from us;
- If you contact us through the Websites;
- When you participate in surveys;
- When you participate with social media accounts operated by Wenner-Gren;
- If you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you provide User Content (as defined in the Terms and Conditions of Use) such as comments or written submissions to SAPIENS on any part of the Websites that permit it; and
- When we need to verify your account information.
When you interact with any Wenner-Gren and SAPIENS page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Tumblr, YouTube, or Pinterest (collectively, “Wenner-Gren Social Media”), or when you use your social media account or credentials to log into the Websites, we may also collect the Personal Information that you make available to us on that page or through that account.
Collection of Personal Information by Third Party
HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use Personal Information in any of the following ways:
- To indicate that you are the author of User Content (as defined in our Terms and Conditions of Use) if you submit such content with your name;
- To communicate with you periodically via email, if you have subscribed to one of our email lists;
- To communicate with you in connection with processing your grant application or employment application;
- To communicate with you about your account or any transactions with us;
- To respond to you when you contact us. We may also archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To contact you with service messages related to or affecting your use of our Websites, for example, to send you updates about changes in our terms or policies;
- To send you marketing messages, special offers, promotions, and other information about us and our programs and services, and other products or services that we think may be of interest to you (see opt-out procedures in “Your Choices and Communications Preferences” below);
- To facilitate your registration for an event or program;
- To investigate any activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- To manage and operate our organization in general.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Third Party Service Providers/Program Partners. We might share Personal Information with trusted third-party vendors to help us in operating our Websites, programs and services. Also, if we work with a partner to help us to develop content and programs, we might share our email list and other information with them on a confidential basis.
User Content. Your name or username will appear next to any User Content you submit to us. If you post Personal Information in comments or other public forums on our Websites or on Wenner-Gren Social Media, that information will be publicly available. If you are concerned about your privacy, we encourage you to use a username that is not personally identifiable and to refrain from posting Personal Information in comments or other public forums on our Websites or Wenner-Gren Social Media.
Aggregated Data. We may share Non-Personal Information in an aggregated form or publish information based on aggregated data. However, we will only do so in a way that your personal identity is protected.
Your Choices and Communications Preferences
You can elect to opt-out of subscription and marketing communications from us via the unsubscribe mechanism provided within the communications that you receive from us. Even if you unsubscribe from general email communications, we reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Websites and to communicate with you about your user account(s) or User Content you have submitted as necessary.
ACCESS, REVIEW, CHANGING AND DELETING PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you have questions about reviewing, editing or deleting the Personal Information you have provided to us please contact us at [email protected]. Please note, however, that even if you delete your information, there may still be residual information about you in our systems, for example in our log files. Also, please note that we may retain certain Personal Information necessary for us to operate our programs, to comply with our legal obligations, meet regulatory requirements, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use.
It is your responsibility to maintain the confidentiality of your password(s).
You are also responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the Personal Information you submit to us. Submitting inaccurate information, or failing to maintain the accuracy of information that changes (for example, a change of email address) may disrupt your ability to receive email communications, may affect the information you receive from us, and may impact our ability to contact you/and or process your grant application. You can update your Personal Information at any time by logging into your relevant user accounts with us and our third party service providers. If you have any questions about updating your Personal Information, please contact us at [email protected].
PROTECTING CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
We strongly believe in protecting the privacy of children. We do not knowingly collect or maintain any Personal Information on our Websites from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of our Websites are directed to persons under 13 years of age. Upon learning of the existence of Personal Information concerning persons less than 13 years of age that has been collected on our Websites without verified parental consent, we will take appropriate steps to delete it.
GOVERNING LAW; INTERNATIONAL USERS
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you have any trouble logging in, or have any privacy-related questions or unresolved problems, please contact us at [email protected].